Rock band Telltale have shared their new single and music video “COBAIN,” a melancholy track featuring LA-based artist Honey Revenge. “COBAIN” is out now via European label Rude Records. Fans can stream the song now here, and watch the music video below. “COBAIN” serves as the follow up to recent singles “Slowburn” and “Out Of Control!” Fans can look forward to more new music coming soon.
About the song, the band shares: “There’s a line out the door of artists trying to cut their teeth, trying to be the next “great.” You can make a goal of signing a deal, or touring the world, but at the end of the day it’s all about hustle. The party lifestyle is going to try and sweep you up and people aren’t always going to give a shit about what you’re trying to do. So keep your nose clean and grind. Nirvana may have been an overnight success, but this isn’t the 90s anymore.”
“There’s a lot of kids out there who will never see their dreams and talents recognized because of circumstance. I read somewhere that making a living on music is 10% skill and the other 90% luck. If you consider the kind of “luck” afforded to young people living without a home, the odds of them getting to chase dreams the way we do as a band are cut by a lot,” they continue. “The music industry likes to romanticize this story of “the come-up,” where an artist makes great music because they’ve lived through hardship. It doesn’t have to be like that; no one should have to not know where they’re going to sleep tonight.”
Like a John Hughes movie or a thrift store cardigan sweater, the driving rhythm and earnest melody of Telltale is both familiar and reinvigorating in equal measure.
The quartet crafts anthems that immediately connect with the kids who pack clubs and theaters to see newer bands like Neck Deep as well as the older set that cherish early records from Fall Out Boy and Lifetime, but with their own distinctive spin. All over the Richmond, Virginia based band’s catalogue, Teltale spin stories that are as relatable as growing pains.
Telltale have steadily charted their own path through impassioned performances and friendly charm, supporting bands like Broadside, As It Is, Real Friends, Assuming We Survive, and Young Culture, both at home and on the road.
With heavy doses of saccharine sentiment and self-aware camp, these guys are perfecting the recipe. At a rapid pace, Telltale continues to carve a new heart into the solid tree of pop punk. They are fresh champions for the underdog, a group who makes the everyday soundtrack for the uninvited, brokenhearted, and cast aside.